Tamil Nadu Success Stories of NAQUIM
Plans for Artificial recharge/ water conservation has been prepared in Annur Firka and Thondamuthur Firka, Coimbatore by State Ground & Surface Water Resources Data Centre, PWD, TN.
Based on the results of Aquifer mapping undertaken, Suitable Geo-tagged sites were suggested for Water conservation/ Recharge in top crystalline aquifers in the premises of in Heavy Alloy Penetrator Project, (MoD) Tiruchirappalli. Similar suggestions have been made in respect of following :-
- CGWB provided technical guidance and carried out the field level inspection for feasibility of structures and pinpointing sites. DPRs have been prepared by state for implementation. Total cost of the project is Rs.890.00 Lakhs & Rs.336.52 Lakhs respectively.
In Heavy Vehicle Factory (HVF), Ministry of Defence, Avadi, Chennai drinking water problems were solved based on Aquifers characterization suggesting extraction of ground water from Aquifer Group – II ( Depth Range 60-100 mbgl). The efforts of CGWB were appreciated which resulted in mitigating water crisis in the area.
Based on Aquifer Mapping the Government of Tamil Nadu initiated regulatory measures for groundwater abstraction in the coastal areas of Cuddalore district in order to prevent sea water intrusion and protection of coastal aquifers.
- Indian Maritime University, Headquarters, Uthandi, Kancheepuram District
- Ordinance Factory, Tiruchirappalli, Tiruchirappalli district
- Officers Training Academy, St. Thomas Mount, Chennai
- Cordite Factory, Aruvankadu, The Nilgiris District